Friday, October 23, 2015

West Ridge Women Spotlight #6 - Shelly Bennett




Hi everyone, Marcy here!  As I prepare for the upcoming Blossom Retreat, I thought it would be a great opportunity to introduce you to one of the "behind the scenes" members of the Social Media Ministry and a super, sweet lady, Shelly Bennett!  So let's get to know Shelly a little better in her own words...

Hello Ladies! My name is Shelly Bennett. I am a wife to my awesome husband, Paul, and a mom to 3 teenagers (Pray for me please – lol!). My family and I have been members of West Ridge for about 1 ½ years. We absolutely love it! We have been so welcomed and loved that it feels as if we have been here forever. My husband serves on the Parking Lot Team. I serve on the Greeting Team and I am involved with the Titus 2 Mentoring Program.  I also help out behind the scenes of the Women’s Social Media Ministry.

Serving in some capacity has been a part of my life since I was a little girl.  My mom and dad gave their lives to the Lord when I was about 4 years old. Prior to that, my dad was an alcoholic and my parents were on the verge of divorce. Everything changed when they joined a small group, which then led them to church. God had saved them, restored their marriage and they were so grateful. They never looked back. They wanted to serve the Lord with everything that was in them and along that road they instilled in their children that same desire!

That’s where my story begins. I gave my life to Jesus when I was 5 years old. Shortly after that I was baptized.  For my family, church was our life. My dad became an associate pastor and I think I was at the church almost every day! Over the years, I have served in many areas of ministry from bus ministry, hospitality, teaching Sunday school, teaching home Bible studies, singing in the choir and on the praise team.  I even taught preschool at the church daycare.  I have a lot of great memories that made such impact on my life because my parents chose to involve us in serving others.  

One year, I remember my parents were in charge of gift baskets for the needy at Christmas time. So on some really cold, wintery Saturdays, we went door to door collecting canned goods in 3 feet of snow! I’m not even exaggerating! I would even invite my friends to spend the night and then the next day inform them they were going with me to collect those canned goods. Despite the surprise, they were all pretty good sports. 

When I was saved, I became a part of the body of Christ. As a part of His body, I have a function or service that only I can do. Just like in our physical body, the hand cannot do what the brain does, or the heart cannot do what the kidney does but each of those body parts play a very important role. Mark 10:45 (ESV) says: “For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.” Jesus lived His life on earth as a servant to others as an example for us to follow. I want to leave a legacy for my children and grandchildren to know the importance and the joy they will feel in serving others for the cause of Christ!

If you have a desire to serve at West Ridge, I encourage you to pray and ask Jesus where you can plug in.  After all you are part of the body too! The church body that is!  And whether you realize it or not, we need you.  We need your talents, gifts, and especially your heart. Serving can be a life changing experience – not only for you but for those you will be helping too!  It could be your smile at the front door that makes a visitor feel welcome.  Or it could be your ability to comfort a little one so a stressed momma can sit in the sanctuary undistracted.  Every area of service is important.

I am so excited about what God is doing at West Ridge! I guarantee you will not regret getting involved in this growing community of believers whose desire is to reach the Ridge and beyond with the Gospel of Jesus Christ! 

This wouldn’t be a West Ridge Women’s Spotlight without ending with the Super Six questions!  So here we go:

1.  Are you a morning person or night owl?  That’s a good question! The older I get the less of a night owl I am! However, I can still be a night owl especially if we are playing games with friends or just spending time with family. I love being with people!!!

2. What was the last book you read? The Mark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers. It is one of the best trilogies I have ever read!! 

3.  What is your favorite way to relax? Lounging at home with my hubby and kids!

4.  What would you have for the perfect meal? I love food!! So there are a lot of perfect meals. Since it is cold out, I will say broccoli and cheese soup, fresh baked bread, and something chocolate for dessert. 

5.  What is your favorite Scripture to meditate on in times of stress? My favorite verse is actually the whole chapter of Psalm 27. 

6.  What is your favorite thing about West Ridge? I would have to say the love of God that I feel here! I am so grateful God brought us to West Ridge!

Ladies, you can find more information about serving at West Ridge at www.westridge.cc or you can email us at women@westridge.cc



No comments:

Post a Comment