Monday, October 24, 2016

Perseverance





















“When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” This quote is one that you are probably familiar with. I know it is one that has got me through some difficult parts in life. In fact, it is a picture of what a large part of my teen and young adult life looked like. It also paints a picture of perseverance, a paradigm I am very familiar with.

Perseverance can be defined as: (n.) steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success. Perseverance is something that has been woven throughout my faith over my lifetime. It is one key piece in my walk with Christ. In terms of a biblical view, perseverance can look like remaining, patient waiting, endurance. 

And if I am honest, there have been several moments in the thick of it where I just wanted to throw in the towel. Have you had those moments in a season where your vision is so clouded you can’t seem to see through the thickness? Girl! I have had so many. My vision can be so clouded, and it’s easy to focus on the problems in those moments instead of remembering what Jesus said; “I’m on my way; I’ll be there soon. Keep a tight grip on what you have so no one distracts you and steals your crown.” (Revelation 3:11 MSG) Somehow even when I forget, in each one of those moments, there is something that makes me keep going… in the very core of my being there is a whisper that says “Keep on, keeping on!” and so I do. It is an innate quality I am always thankful for.

I persevered through teen pregnancy and a very unhealthy relationship.
I persevered through college and part time jobs.
I persevered through my very close grandparents dying.
I persevered through addiction plagued family members and suicide.
I persevered through lost jobs and a rollercoaster of a career.
I persevered through shifts in my faith.
I persevered through depression coming to a head after the birth of my second child and losing my rock of a father shortly thereafter.

And I will persevere through anything that comes next. And you know what? YOU will too! Because in this life, we know the One who gives life! “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it to the full.” John 10:10 (NIV)
In my meek position I may not understand fully what that means yet but I keep going because I know that is what Jesus has for me. Life isn’t always easy or smooth, it doesn’t always feel good but we keep going. We keep going because God is way bigger than our doubts. He’s way bigger then the mountains in front of us. He is bigger than our attitudes, our circumstance, or our brains (y’all know what I’m talking about here! That negative self-talk.) God is bigger!

You have read part of my story here today and maybe your story looks different but one thing is the same, we all have struggles or seasons of struggle. Jesus tells us to keep going. Even in our doubt and wandering He is there, in the midst. And one thing I do understand is that nothing can take God’s love from us, so we keep going.

From the song: “Love has found us” by Gateway Worship

Nothing on earth
Above or below
Nothing in all the universe
Can take us from your love
You came to us
Made us your own
You have redeemed us from the fall
You paid the ransom once for all

Eyes on the prize, sweet friends. Keep on, keeping on!

With love,
Jimmie Lee

I don’t know what type of season you are in or what you may be struggling with but I would love to lift you up in prayer. I believe much of my innate ability to keep going is because there were and are folks praying for me. So I am praying in general for you ladies, but if you want to be a little brave today, I would love to get specific in my prayers for you individually. Please leave a comment below or send an email to women@westridge.cc



No comments:

Post a Comment