Sunday, September 18, 2016

Transitions




















Transitions in life happen all the time. We have all gone through a transition at one time or another. Maybe some of us have gone through more transitions then another but, transitions are one thing we all have in common. Some transitions are smaller like starting a new school year (still hard though!), or having a birthday. Other transitions are more life altering like getting married, having a baby, getting a new job, losing a loved one, or moving to a new town.

Over the last five years, I feel like I have experienced more life altering transitions than the average bear (in what I would consider a small amount of time). In honor of transparency, since 2011 I have: had a baby, lost a job, found a job, changed churches, lost a parent, went through leadership changes in my agency, lost another job, took a position with same company, had 5 different job titles in 2 years, decided to leave my agency (after 7 years there) and basically my profession, at least for now... And here we are! This is just my part of the story because my husband has had some transitions in there too. You could say I know a little bit about transitions. But I am no expert. No, I won’t lay claim to that. Although I thought I might have some helpful tips to share with you if you are going through a transition, whether it be big or small.

I confess, I have not always done transition well. I kick and scream and whine and moan. Okay, maybe not to the visible eye but on the inside I am a toddler throwing the mother of all tantrums!

So over the last five years I have discovered 3 things that help me thrive during life transitions when I would really just rather crawl in bed and hibernate for life (was that a little too dramatic?). I would love to encourage you with them if I could:

1.  Take extra good care of yourself!
Self-care can be hard for some of us, but it is so important! (Like in those airplane preflight instructions, putting on your oxygen mask first before you put one on your child.) During times of transition, taking extra good care of yourself will help you wade through it. For me it’s about staying at equilibrium. So whatever that looks like for you, do it. If you need more sleep (I always do!), then sleep more. The dishes and laundry will be there when you wake up! Take a hot shower in the middle of the day, get a manicure, or splurge on the large coffee drink! And please, please, please ask for help! Call that friend you know will pray with you, tell someone you need encouragement, or a babysitter, or just a shoulder to cry on. Taking good care of yourself may sometimes mean the need to call in for reinforcements.

 “Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness so that Christ's power may rest on me” 2 Corinthians 12: 8-9 (NIV)

2.  The do what you can plan!
I read Holley Gerth’s ebook “The Do What You Can Plan” a few years back and this is what settled in my heart, ‘Something is better than nothing’ That mentality has helped me through so many times of transition! If you can only do 10 minutes of exercise a day, something is better than nothing and you can work your way up! If I have 6 loads of laundry backed up I wash our necessities to get us through the week. Do what you can! If it ALL doesn’t get done? It is okay. Something is better than nothing and God’s grace is everything!

“It's useless to rise early and go to bed late, and work your worried fingers to the bone. Don't you know he enjoys giving rest to those he loves?” Psalm 127:2 (MSG)

3.  Prayer AND Worship!
Prayer will most certainly help you thrive during these times. I always say it, if I am a hot mess with Jesus I wouldn’t even want to see me without Jesus. My goodness, I need Jesus every day! Amen? Amen!

And worship? Worship is good all the time, but I can’t tell you how many times worship has broken chains and set me free from pressure and anxiety! When I have felt like I can’t possibly bear one more change, I know I have to completely surrender to God in worship. It might look different for you, but for me I try to find time alone in the dark, I blast my worship playlist, raise my hands and just start praising and thanking God (I’m usually pacing back and forth like a crazy person too!). I’m telling you transition or not, this will break whatever is binding you up!

“Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.” Philippians 4:6-7 (MSG)

So there you have it, three things to help you thrive through transitions. Take extra good care of yourself, ‘the do what you can plan’, and prayer + worship! Learning to give myself grace has also helped me to thrive through transition. As I have headed into this current transition, I’ve noticed it’s not as foggy as the ones before. These 3 things have helped me keep clear eyes and a full heart! (Oh hey speaking of clear eyes and a full heart... http://westridgewomen.blogspot.com/2016/08/clear-eyes-full-hearts-cant-lose.html)

If you are no stranger to life transitions and you have some tips for us, we would love to read your encouragement in the comments section! Or if you are going through a life transition and you need prayer or encouragement please let us know! We would love to come along side you. Iron sharpens iron and we all need each other, amen!

Ladies, we love you and are here for you!  Email us at women@westridge.cc

Post by: Jimmie Lee DiIanni




No comments:

Post a Comment