Thursday, August 18, 2016

The "Be Yourself" Challenge






















What if we decided to just be who we are all the time? No matter what. Whether we get accolades or push-back, we were just ourselves? What if we stopped trying so hard to be something else... someone else? What if instead, we operated out of who God created us to be?

There is this thought that has quietly been in the back of my heart, one that I have unknowingly been operating from. I tell myself things like, “If I was like her then I would be good at___________ (fill in the blank)”, or “If I was like that, then I have ‘arrived’ and I would be good enough to lead.” I realized that many of my decisions and actions came from this place of thinking that I needed to have it all together to be able to do the things I have been called to do. But more so, what my made up version of  “having it all together” actually looked like.

I think of myself as an authentic person, you know, ‘What you see is what you get’. But I realized that I was actually trying to be someone I am not. I was trying to fit myself into this tiny little box of made up unspoken expectations that I assumed other people had for me. Like I had to reach some kind of cultural standard to be a good enough friend, leader, or even Christian. But trying to be someone you are not, trying to fit some kind of made up standard you are not even really sure exist, its exhausting! And a little bit terrifying.

I was operating out of a bunch of “should’s”.  I should:

  • be more outgoing
  • be better at conversation
  • be less emotional
  • smile more
  • be more organized
  • be less straight forward
  • be kinder, sweeter, more peppy,
  • only listen to worship music
  • never get angry
  • exercise (in matching cute clothes of course)
  • do more
  • be less
  • have it all together by now

Trying to fit into that box meant I could never truly be myself. Can you relate? Have you ever felt small, not enough, too much or all of the above just because you were yourself?

I no longer want to operate out of “should’s” or unspoken, made up expectations. I want to operate out of who God made me to be.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.Psalm 139:13-14 (NIV)

I love Psalm 139 because it means, I am known. I am loved. I am wonderful. It means the very same for you too. There is no one else like me! There is no one else like you! I don’t need to lead like her, I need to lead like me. I don’t need to pray like her, I need to pray like me. I don’t need to worship like her, I need to worship like me! You see, I want to love who I am so I can love you better. I want to walk out who God created me to be so that you are encouraged to walk out who God created you to be!

So here is #thebeyourselfchallange! Remember in the beginning I asked, “What if we decided to be who we are? All the time. No matter what. Let’s do it! Let’s put our energy into being who God made us to be and let our love pour from that.

I am starting with reminding myself who I am:

I am Jimmie Lee. I am mostly quiet, a little sarcastic and sometimes slow to get the jokes. I laugh when no one else does, I dance and people look at me funny, I am goofy and silly and love lame jokes. (Ask me what my favorite joke is!) I cry when I am happy, sad, mad and everything in between. In a room full of people I am usually the one observing from the corner. I love coffee, Gilmore Girls, and coloring. I have an eclectic taste in music, especially the dancing kind. My favorite outfit is a cute shirt and jeans. I have low days and bright days. I love my boys like no one else (except maybe their mammy). I am my husband’s number one fan (except maybe his mom). I am real, I listen, and I care. I am restorative by nature and love to see women set free! I am passionate about God’s grace and freedom. I sway, jump up and down, raise my hands, cry and bend low when I worship. I am fully known and yet still fully loved by the Creator of the universe! And I am so much more than what you see.

Okay! It’s your turn. How are you starting #thebeyourselfchallange? Tell us in the comments, send us an e-mail, or tag us on Facebook and/or Instagram! I am excited to hear from you all!

Post by: Jimmie Lee DiIanni




6 comments:

  1. I am Felicia. I am outgoing and sometimes loud without realizing it. I don't say no very well but it is because i seem to have a passion built into me for so many aspects of the Kingdom...and sometimes it gets me in trouble with having too much to do vs. hours in the day. I love being a mommy and it has been the single thing that has taught me the most so far in life about myself. I passionately love worshipping my King more than breathing itself and even though I know I am not the best singer and there are a lot that surround me that are so much better....it is just in my bones and something that I have tried to shake for that reason but simply can't. To watch someone be led into His presence while leading worship brings me to my knees and makes my heart jump for joy. I am smitten by my husband and sometimes feel guilty that we are not the 'normal' family that has a stay at home mom and career oriented dad but thankful He has given us the desires of OUR heart and love watching my husband have so much time with my daughter. I appreciate grace and forgiveness and try to continually practice giving it as much as I have received it.

    Wow..... What freedom comes with laying it all out there!!!!! Thank you for a beautiful post and beautiful challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it freeing! Something I will go back to often so I know who I am is okay! Love you and your passion for worship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Bethany. Often times you'll hear me cracking up a mile away, and once I start I can't stop. I enjoy my own jokes and I constantly laugh at myself. I enjoy dancing my little heart out for Jesus and with. I love being lost, yet found in Gods presence. Being outside in nature is a must. I love putting my feet in the creek. I enjoy a good tv show and pizza! Donuts are my fav! I observe people. I love to encourage and speak life over people, like God does for us. But still struggle with being hard on myself. I love seeing people set free. Walking beside them believing in them. I still wonder off my path, but the detours are becoming less and less. I'm drawn to people who are hurting. Id do anything for anyone and try to be there in any way I can. I see where God can and uses it for his kingdom, but I have allowed circumstances swallow my light. I love my church. And being involved. One of the very few places I feel home. I'm finally understanding how precious I am to God. I love being the apple of his eyes! And want everyone to know how special and loved they're. Ive come a far way, but still have a ways to go. I appreciate the grace and favor God had and has over my life. He's never let me down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete