Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A Woman Like Esther...


Okay, I will admit, I am a woman who struggles with submission. There, I said it. Don’t get me wrong, I am no rebel but I do tend think that I “know best”.  I used to think that I didn’t struggle with control issues because I wasn’t what the world would call a Type ‘A’ personality. The longer I am on this journey though the more I see those moments when I really want to be in control! I often try to handle things on my own without giving it to God, because I am an independent woman and all.  Can you relate? 

So when I think about my struggle to submit, I look to Esther. Her story is one of my favorites because she is a marvel to me. Esther was a women who so completely trusted in God that she knew, and I mean really knew her purpose. She couldn’t see the outcome but her faith through wisdom, patience and submission proved she was confident in her purpose. The key here is, she knew God and she stood on His promises. I strive to be a woman like Esther. A woman of beauty, quiet confidence, and life changing submission. 

You see, it’s not like Esther “had the life”. Her parents died when she was young and she was raised by her uncle, Mordecai. When Esther was thrown into what most would think is “the life” she remained steadfast in her faith. She nearly had the kingdom at her finger tips and she didn’t take her position for granted. 

When Esther is preparing herself to be introduced to the King, she has the opportunity to adorn herself with all the jewelry she wanted. Instead Esther chooses wisdom and only takes what Hegai (the King’s eunuch in charge of the harem) had advised. This stands out to me as an act of obedience in fulfilling her purpose. How often do I clothe myself with all the things just to impress... who? In this instance and throughout Esther’s story I ask myself, “Would I have chosen the same? 

Separated from everything familiar and faced with a new culture Esther continues to rely on what she knows. She doesn’t change or waiver. This remains true even when it comes down to the nitty gritty. Esther keeps choosing obedience out of a steadfast faith. 

"For if you remain silent at his time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” Esther 4:14 (ESV) 

God’s name is not mentioned in the book of Esther but in reality His name is written all over it. Another reason to marvel at Esther’s story. It is also how I can identify with her. I read her story and I see my own. I see God orchestrating and working in her life to bring freedom and redemption. Esther doesn’t see the end result, but God does and she continues to trust what she knows of Him. He does the same for me and for you. God is always working in our lives. He places us in our work environments, our homes, churches, schools, etc. to accomplish His purpose. I believe we must ask ourselves what Mordecai asks Esther, “And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” 

And so I want to be a woman like Esther. A woman of steadfast faith, radical submission and quiet confidence. I want to be a woman who stands in the beauty that God has charged me with. A woman who hears His voice, knows His promises and trusts in His faithfulness. 

Post by: Jimmie Lee DiIanni


No comments:

Post a Comment