Monday, July 20, 2015

Embracing Your Story




This summer at West Ridge, the ladies have been meeting to study and discuss the book, “One Thousand Gifts” by Ann Voskamp.  I’ve gotta say, I have really enjoyed reading this book! Ann takes us on a beautiful journey as she learns eucharisteo – to live fully – understanding and embracing grace, finding joy, and practicing thanksgiving in ALL things. 

First of all, I love to read! I thoroughly enjoy a great page turner and I can zip through books pretty quickly.  But this one, oh, have I slowed down!  I’m reading and rereading chapters. Highlighting sentences, paragraphs even!  Which is sooo not me.  Normally, I dare not to even smudge pages of books (respect for the printed page, lol!).  But with this book, I’m just trying to soak in all I can and letting my yellow highlighter run rampant!

There is a quote though, right from the very first chapter, that I simply haven’t been able to shake.  Now, I don’t want to ruin the book for anyone who has yet to read it, so I don’t want to share too much.  But after I read this quote, I haven’t been able to escape this thought…

“Maybe you don’t want to change the story, because you don’t know what a different ending holds.”
I’ve read that sentence over and over these last few weeks. Mulling it over in my head.  How many times have I ever thought to myself…

“If I only had made this decision instead of that one.”
“If only this had happened instead of that.
“If I would have only taken this path instead of that one.”

I could go on.  I’m sure you can relate.  Ever get caught traveling down memory lane, pondering how life would be different if you had made different choices or if situations had different outcomes?

This book has had me thinking about my life.  Wondering if I had done something differently, would my story have been different? Or, if a certain situation that I thought was bad at the time would have turned out differently, would my life be what it is today?  When I get stuck in those thoughts though, I go back to Scripture:

“For he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan.” Ephesians 1:11b (NLT)

And I can confidently say, no.  No, I would not want to change the story, because I don’t know what a different ending would hold. I would not want to change the story because it’s God’s story!  It is His story of love and redemption.  It is a story of how He can take what was meant for evil and use it for good.  It is a story of His grace and beauty.  All those heartbreaking and dark times, all the times of pain and desperation, all the times of bringing me down low, if they were erased, where would I be?! What would my future hold?

I would never have needed a Savior.  I would never have known real, true, extravagant love.  I would never have learned who I truly am and how God sees me.  I would not be the woman I am now, on this amazing journey with my Lord! 

I love how Ann goes on in Chapter One to come to this thought, “There’s a reason I am not writing the story and God is.  He knows how it all works out, where it all leads, what it all means.”

I want to encourage you today, to embrace your story. I’m not saying we should live in the past or repeat our past sins.  But to realize that your story – all the ups, downs, everything – is His story.  The pain you have experienced or the hurt you are going through, God knows.  He has a purpose for it and He knows what it all means for your life.  And we can trust Him in it.  He knows how it all works out and He’s got you in the palm of His hand. To quote Ann one last time, “God is always good and I am always loved.”

Ladies, take your story – His story – and give thanks for it! I dare you to see through all those things you wished would have turned out differently and realize God has or will redeem them.  Be thankful for them, even the ugly and painful parts.  Because God IS always good! And you, sweet friend, ARE always loved!

“You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.” Genesis 50:20 (NIV)

“Give thanks in ALL circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (emphasis mine)

Ladies, we love you and are always here for you! Please email us at: women@westridge.cc with questions or prayers...

Post by: Marcy Gates




No comments:

Post a Comment