Thursday, December 18, 2014

Worn-Out Mary

 
 
I love Christmas lights. At this time of year, I enjoy driving through Christmas light displays with my family.  Hearing the ooohhs and ahhs of my little ones makes my heart glad.  I’m more traditional in my light loving tastes though. I’m not a fan of the blinky-blinky, coordinated to music, crazy stuff.  But I sure do love seeing the old-school, plastic Nativity sets in neighborhood yards.  They remind me of my childhood.

I always wanted my parents to get one of those plastic light up sets when I was growing up but we never had one.  So when my in-laws offered my husband and me their 40 year old set, I was overjoyed.  Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus made the two hour trip from Bedford, PA to Pittsburgh with my in-laws on the day after Thanksgiving.  They were displayed on my front porch a few days later.

My girls were so excited to have the Nativity scene set up.  They played around it, bringing Baby Jesus gifts.  It was so adorable.  But as I watched them play, I noticed how worn out the plastic Mary and Joseph looked.  Joseph and Mary’s paint had worn off in spots. Mary’s nose had gotten pushed in a bit.  And then I glanced at the manger.  It was falling apart.  I began to have my doubts about how this scene would look lit up once it got dark.

My husband pieced the wooden manger back together and filled it with hay.  Mary and Joseph were plugged in and in position.  We tested them out to make sure they worked but we had no idea how they would look once the sun went down.

 I really had no need to be concerned.  The Nativity scene looked beautiful!  Mary, Joseph, and Jesus shone brightly through darkness.  That’s when it hit me.  Despite being old, faded, and a bit weary looking, the light still shone through Mary.  In this Christmas season, was the light of Jesus shining through me?

Was I letting the high expectations and stress of the holidays turn me into a “worn-out Mary” or was I going to let the light of Christ shine from me out into the dark world?  I chose right then and there to let the light shine from me. Even if I am weary from waiting in a line a mile long at the store, I am going to let the light shine.  Even if I am feeling worn out from all the holiday hustle and bustle, I am going to let Jesus’ light shine! Even if things get broken down a bit, like the small wooden manger, I am still going to let the light of Christ shine through me.

So my question for you today, as we head into the homestretch towards Christmas, are you going to be a “worn-out Mary” or will you allow the light of Jesus to shine through you into the darkness?

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.” Matthew 5:14-15 (NIV)

Posted by Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment