Monday, September 29, 2014

I Heart You


It is not very often that I am in the car all alone.  Usually I am cruising in my minivan, hauling kiddos to and fro. (Don’t be hating on the minivan – automatic sliding doors and stowaway seating, you gotta love it.) Car rides with my girls are a bit like being questioned by the KGB.  I get questions like, “What do groundhogs like to eat?” to “Why does daddy love you?” to “Do prisoners need to eat their fruit in jail?”

One evening though, I had to make a late night run to the store.  The prospect of some quiet alone time in the car was exciting me.  I could listen to whatever I wanted on the radio and not be peppered with questions or try to break up fights from the driver’s seat.  I climbed in and began my drive.  It was a beautiful night and it seemed like I was the only one on the road.

We make it a habit in our household to pray before we go on car trips.  I’m not sure how it started but it is just something we do.  We usually thank God for the day, ask for safety in our travels, and then the kids will throw in their requests.  Sometimes it is for a good day, to see a friend, or thanking God for new shoes.  You never know what is weighing on the heart of a three year old until you tell her it is her turn to pray.

On this night though, I had some things that were resting like a ton of bricks on my mind.  As is our habit, I began to pray while I turned the key in the ignition.  I pulled out of the drive and headed down the street. “Father God, I thank you for this day.  Please keep me safe as I travel this evening.” I whispered out loud.

As I drove to the store, my prayers grew more intense.   I was praying out loud and I was praying feverishly.  I was pouring out my heart to God right there in the front seat of my minivan.  Tears began streaming down my cheeks.  I was releasing every stress, every concern, and every problem from my tight grasp.  I laid them down at the feet of Jesus as I pulled into my parking spot at the store. 

Feeling like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders; I searched for a tissue to wipe my tears.  Then out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of something dark.  “Oh please don’t be stink bug!” I thought as I cringed and focused in on it.  However, to my surprise and great delight, I realized it was a heart!

Something on my windshield was making a heart shadow on my doorframe!  I must say, it was the best shadow I have ever seen.  It was like an “I heart you” message from my Savior!  In that moment, I was reassured that my prayers were heard, that Jesus cried with me, and I didn’t have to wrestle with those things anymore.  I left them in the hands of my Lord. 

In the course of your day, have you taken a moment to get alone with Jesus?  I believe the most powerful and moving times of prayer are when you really quiet yourself and share your entire heart with the Lord.  Cry out to Him.  Let loose and reveal everything.  Nothing you say will surprise Him.  He already knows what is on your mind and is longing to be alone with you.  He wants to comfort you and give you peace. He wants you at your real and raw self.  He wants you to know “I heart you!”

“The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you with His love; He will rejoice over you with loud singing.” Zephaniah 3:17 NKJV

 “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.  Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7 NIV 


My special heart shadow!








No comments:

Post a Comment