Sunday, August 17, 2014

Unchained


“Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained.” 2 Timothy 2:8-9 (NIV) 

When I read that verse a few days ago, the very end of it struck me.  God’s word is not chained.  What a powerful statement.  I immediately thought of my Bible.  My mind drifted to how I love to pick it up and read it.  Whether I’m directed to a verse at church, or from a devotional, or even just randomly, I love to read God’s word!

We are so blessed in this country to have the freedom to own a Bible.  We can read it whenever we want.  Plus we have access to so many different versions and translations. Of course, you can always download an app for your phone or tablet and have super quick access to scripture.  The word of God is not chained.  You can read it out loud or silently to yourself, “share it” on Facebook, teach it to your family, encourage others with it, and even write it on a piece of poster board and hold it up at a sporting event for all to see (John 3:16!).  Well, you get the idea.  The possibilities are endless.

There are so many though, who don’t have that luxury.  Around the globe, there are people who are so hungry for Christ that a suitcase full of Bibles is the most precious thing in the world to them.  I recall watching a video not too long ago of a group of Christians all the way across the world receiving Bibles.  At first the scene is loud and a bit chaotic as each person vies for a Bible from the suitcase.  They are not rude or pushing each other but so excited to even touch a Bible that they simply cannot contain themselves.   The camera pans to a man as he gently kisses his copy while on the verge of tears.  Others are also kissing their copies and carefully peeling off the protective plastic.  Then it is very quiet.  Complete silence.  You know why? Because all these people are reading their Bibles.  Remembering that scene, I realized…  Yes, God’s word cannot be chained!

God’s word is living and active.  The Bible says in Isaiah 55:11, “So is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” God’s word is not chained.  How can it be? God tells us that his word will not return void.  It will accomplish whatever God wants it to!

The word of God comforts us during times of stress (Ps. 55:22, Matt. 11:28).  It consoles us as we grieve a loss (Matt. 5:4, Rev. 21:3-4).  It lifts us up when we are feeling defeated (James 4:10).  Scripture can guide us when we don’t know where to go or what to do (Ps. 119:105).  It fills us with peace (John 16:33), joy (Romans 15:13), and hope (Jeremiah 29:11).  Scripture reveals God’s everlasting love and His greatest gift, Jesus (John 3:16).  God’s word is not just a book.  It has survived centuries.  God’s voice, his power, his will for you is throughout scripture.  How could any of that be chained? God cannot be stopped.

So, have you read the Bible today?  I promise you that when you read it, and really sink in to it, God will open your eyes and you will take it all in differently than ever before.  The Holy Spirit will open your heart and God’s word will be written there. When that happens my friends, then God’s word cannot be chained!

No comments:

Post a Comment