Sunday, February 2, 2014

All We Have to Fear is... Nothing!


Polar Vortex.  Sounds scary right?  The news warned of the extreme cold temperatures set to hit our region.  The Polar Vortex blew into Pittsburgh one stormy night and boy, it did not arrive quietly.  The night before the Polar Vortex was to set in, I watched the weather forecast.  I shivered at the thought of the subzero temps that were headed our way in hours.  I thought to myself, “Man, I hope the power doesn’t go out.  It is so windy out there.  It is going to get so cold.  What if the pipes freeze? What if there’s no power for the furnace to run? Where will we go? How will I keep the kids warm?” And on, and on my thoughts raced.  I was starting to let fear take hold. I realized what was going on and decided to just stop worrying and go to bed. 

I was tired from the events from the day and fell asleep quickly.  But my slumber would not last long.  I heard the popping noise first and was fully awake by the time my husband jumped out of bed, opened the blinds, and revealed the flames and sparks right outside our bedroom window. We both stared out the window in amazement.  The power lines behind our home appeared to be on fire! My husband turned to me and told me to call 911.  I ran downstairs and picked up the phone just as the power went off! I tried the phone anyway but it was dead. I fumbled with my cell phone as my fingers were shaking to dial those three most important numbers. As I spoke with the 911 operator, telling her the situation, I heard a voice in the back of my head, “See! It happened! I told you the power was going to go out!” My heart started to pound even faster and a wave of fear paralyzed me.

Then, I looked out my front window.  I felt the fear slip away from my body as God’s Word filled my head.  I heard the still, small voice of God whisper to me, “I did not give you a spirit of fear.” As those words filled my mind and heart, the power clicked back on.  Sirens heard outside revealed that the fire department and police had arrived. My husband and I watched all the action out on the street from our bedroom window. 

Eventually we went back to bed and as I went back to sleep, I was calm.  I knew God would protect me.  I had no fear of what the morning would bring or how cold it would get with the Polar Vortex. I didn’t need to let worry rule my thoughts.  I didn’t need to stress about what may or may not happen because God is with me.  God has me in the palm of His Hand and He is in control.

What do you fear? Are you letting worry and anxiety stress you out?  It does not need to.  God did not intend for us to have a spirit of fear. Turn your fears over to God and release them from your grasp. Our Lord is strong and powerful. He will protect you and always, always love you.

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.”  2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV)


Do you want to learn more about this Mighty God that releases us from all fear, strengthens us, and protects us? Please email women@westridge.cc with questions or prayers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment